Jay Reviews/Dee Writes an Essay


Jay Reviews/Dee Writes an Essay


If you're a follower, or even an occasional reader of Dee Reads, you'll know that my brother, Jay, is a guest contributor.  He's always got something to say 😜.  Seriously, he tends to have ideas and opinions that lend a new perspective and a fresh voice to the blog.  So credit, where credit is due, Jay suggested I might want to review some essays.  Of course, I was glad to accept his review as the first entry.  


One Long River of Song by Brian Doyle, Reviewed by Jay Mueller  

                                                                                                                              

"When I hear the word essay what comes to mind is the dreaded assignments that we all, at least those of my generation, endured as part of our education.  I was never much of one for school and trust me when it came to essays, endure is putting it mildly.  But in fact, essays can be a very beautiful way to lead a reader into and down a path of thought.  Typically, the road maps used are observations of daily life, recollections, and reflections of the author.  In One Long River of Song, Brian Doyle does this repeatedly and expertly.

In his essay, Two Hearts, we are confronted with a father of twin boys, one healthy the other with a life-threatening heart defect.  In a simple prayer we hear his struggle with faith.

“Why did you break my boy?” I ask. 

I gave you that boy, He says, and his lean brown brother, and the elfin daughter you love so. 

“But you wrote death on his heart,” I say. 

I write death on all hearts, He says, just as I write life.

At first read one could think that the author is simply relaying his personal struggle and the pain being faced by the possible death of one of his sons, the mystery of why God allows pain and suffering.  Looking under the surface I find much more.  I find a deep desire to see all that is placed before him.  Two sons, both facing the uncertainties of life.  Both miraculous gifts.  Each to be celebrated, the good, the beautiful and difficult and painful.

Death is a part of who we are.  We typically do not know when it will come, come it will.  A life lived with that understanding can lead to a life lived well, regardless of the duration."


Nicely and thoughtfully done, don't you think?  Please give Jay's review a look and don't hesitate to drop a comment.  We'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.  


Rather than a review, I want to share with you a short, 500 word, essay that I authored for a community of writers called Deadlines for Writers. Deadlines is comprised of authors in various areas; fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and more. I happen to belong to one designated for short story writers. Once a month anyone interested can submit a response to a common prompt. Always with a required number of words (no more, no less), these essays must be submitted by a deadline and can then be read by other writers and comments shared. I've submitted a few short stories over the year that I have belonged to the group. Unexpectedly Delightful happens to be one I especially enjoyed writing.


Unexpectedly Delightful

By


Dianna Marshall


You will need a soup bowl.  It doesn’t have to be anything special, part of a set, china or stoneware, even chipped or scratched will work.  What goes inside is what will make it beautiful, a work of art even, and utterly delightful for a cold winter’s lunch.   


 My daughter makes the most delicious homemade tomato soup. Full disclosure, I enjoy a bowl of Campbell’s Tomato Soup now and then, but her version is beyond better.  I don’t have the recipe, it being somewhat of a secret, but she’s made it for me often enough that I know one of the key ingredients is a specific brand of canned tomatoes.  I won’t  mention which brand, it being a closely held secret.  Careful sleuthing on my part, has revealed that ingredient, but more than that I have only my taste buds to aid me.  Some homegrown basil or freshly ground pepper, I’m sure play a small part in the delightful dance that is this soup.


Once it’s ready to spoon up, it’s a display that puts red velvet to shame.  It simply cascades off the ladle into your favorite bowl.  Think the grain of velvet or the ocean tide flowing in one direction and then returning in the other. If you’re able to picture that in your mind’s eye, you've got a good visual of this soup being served.  The “season to taste” phrase usually finds me adding a sprinkle of kosher salt, just enough that the soup is lightly dusted with the appearance of the first frost of winter on the lawn.  It just glistens! 


This simple, but delightful soup is as much a treat for the eyes as it is for the appetite.  In fact, this quote says it perfectly -  “We eat with our eyes first.”



I so enjoyed writing this, maybe more than I enjoy eating the soup. I hope you do too. Once more, if you feel inspired to leave a comment or a longer review, I'd be happy to see what you have to say.


Next week, we will have another guest contributor to the blog. My son, Cody, will be joining the blog. Be looking for his installment on Monday or Tuesday.


HAPPY READING!

Comments

  1. I am looking forward to reading Cody's post. I find his views thought provoking. A view from a younger generation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dee Reviews The Faculty Lounge by Jennifer Mathieu

BOOK ADJACENT

Series Reading - The Couple's Secret by Lisa Regan