The Flip Side

As promised in last week's dispatch, I'm about to reveal three books, from my Summer Reading Challenges, that didn't quite meet my bar.  Before I drop the bomb, let me just say that because I didn't find these offerings to my liking or up to my standards, doesn't mean someone else won't.  In fact, as I've said many times, that's why reading is great - while this, that, or the other book might not have been one of my favorites doesn't mean it won't work for the next reader.

Now, the explosion - 

The Max Revere Series by Allison Brennan, Books 1-5, Notorious, Compulsion, Notorious, Shattered, Abandoned

I've read all five books in this series over the course of a few months and rated them higher than perhaps I might have had I spent more time digesting and considering books 1-3.  I was so invested in Max's origin story I found myself riding a wave of positive feelings as I began the last two, Shattered and Abandoned.  In fact, I lingered several weeks on my library's hold list for Abandoned, which is unusual for me. 

Abandoned was a satisfying resolution to Max's personal story, if a little beyond common sense dictates. *Spoilers Ahead*  I found it difficult to believe that a nine year old would have the kind of astute knowledge of her mother's abilities and opinions, with regard to pieces of art and it's value, to be able to articulate those recollections.  Further, that she based her adult actions on those twenty year old memories.   In addition, that colleagues and experts would give credence to them.  Talk about "suspend belief".  Nonetheless, entertaining enough that I kept reading until the end of the series. 

One final concern present in all five of these books and some of Brennan's other work, is her tendency, near the middle of the story, to become bogged down and little forward movement is seen for some time.  It's almost as if, she's trying to meet an artificial benchmark, maybe page numbers, before she moves on.  It makes the entire reading experience a little tiresome.  

The Windsor Affair by Melanie Benjamin

I must say I was really disappointed in this book.  All the advance praise and recommendations it received had me floating on high hopes.  While I'd never read anything by Melanie Benjamin before and wasn't quite sure what to expect, I relied on what I had been seeing prior to it's release. I believe the potential to be much better was there, it just seemed more of a “gossip rag”.  Depending on rumor, innuendo, and even in the author’s notes she revealed that the dialogue was much of her own invention. 

Secondly, in the first few chapters it was very choppy from a timeframe standpoint, jumping back and forth large gaps leaving me with a bit of reader's whiplash and a lot of confusion. Finally, the last several chapters were dry as a James Bond martini. Completely without the redeeming sparkle that I noted early on in the book which kept me reading a lower ranking book (in my estimation). Maybe this might be different for other readers, but it was a slog through the molasses of these women's lives for me. 

Don't Tell A Soul by D.  K.  Hood

I’m not certain why this book just now popped up on my TBR since it was released in 2017. Nevertheless, I’m glad it crossed my radar.  It gave me a chance to enjoy some of the aspects of book #1 in a new-to-me series.   

Alton and Kane seem an odd pairing for detective partners. Alton, as the head of the department, from my perspective as a veteran police officer, would be unlikely to be actively investigating cases.  Kane, as a brand new deputy in a specialized role, strikes me as unusual. These two anomalies made for an awkward start to my experienced eye.  Maybe I was just a bit too literal.  Yet, these two put their heads and skills together to solve three missing persons and a murder case. Could they be connected?  Could there be more bodies out there?  Could Ms. Hood have come up with a more gruesome body disposal?  

Once I read a bit more into the book, I enjoyed the partnering of Jenna and David and am looking forward to jumping into more in this series.  I also admired the way in which the author lead us down the garden path to solving these cases.
  

Although they may not correspond with yours, I trust my thoughts and opinions are well-founded and expressed.  Please feel free to leave your comments on this post and any others.  I read and respond to them all.  

Comments

  1. Interesting take on the lot. Don't Tell a Soul sounds like it may be worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a new series. It opens up a whole new reading world; new characters, places, and in this case crimes to solve. There are at least thirty books in the Alton and Kane Series,. On Amazon, the audible versions are free right now with a trial of Amazon Audible, if that's your reading tool.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dee Reviews The Faculty Lounge by Jennifer Mathieu

Series Reading - The Couple's Secret by Lisa Regan

BOOK ADJACENT