Fiction Genres
Recently, I got a brain tickle that lead to a Wikipedia search in order to learn more about fiction genres. For instance, did you know there are eight genres of fiction? And even more sub-genres and the list grows as more subs are coined all the time. Here's a look at the list:
- Fantasy: Uses magic and other supernatural elements, often set in fictional worlds (e.g., The Lord of the Rings).
- Science Fiction: Focuses on futuristic science, space travel, and advanced technology (e.g., Dune).
- Mystery: Follows a detective or character trying to solve a crime or secret.
- Romance: Centers on a love story between characters with an optimistic ending.
- Thriller/Horror: Builds high tension, fear, suspense, or dark scares.
- Historical Fiction: Takes place during a real past time period with invented characters or events.
- Contemporary/Realistic Fiction: Set in modern or realistic times with events that could actually happen in real life.
For nearly all of my reading life, I've tagged myself a mystery and/or thriller reader. From my earliest love of Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden to today's devotion to Tracy Crosswhite and Harry Bosch. At first blush, it appears I'm a fan of the girl and guy detectives.🔍 Do you join me on the hunt for the "bad guy" or are you happier somewhere else? What draws you to these stories? A couple of things suck me in like metal to a magnet.
First, is the sometimes daunting challenge of crime-solving. Am I a better detective than Nancy or Trixie? I hope so, since they are young women without any real experience. I'm a thirty year police veteran. I should be able figure out The Secret in the Old Clock or The Secret of the Mansion. When we turn to more present day, adult sleuths, like Tracy or Harry the heat is turned up on the difficulty scale. Can I beat them to the punch? Sometimes-
Even more appealing, many books in this genre are written as parts of a series. Yes, the story carries on. We get much more of the life and times of our favorite Holmes or Watson. I unreservedly love that! I jump up and down when I happen upon book #1 in a new mystery or thriller series, in which our main character has a "cool detective" name; Frank Flint, Josie Quinn, or Max Revere. What might your detective name be?
My second choice genre is historical fiction, though I've only realized this affection in the past few years. If you've spent time on-line or in an actual bookstore you've probably noticed the plethora of WWII fiction weighing down the shelves in recent years. You might say I cut my historical fiction teeth in that time period. Beneath a Scarlet Sky being one of the very best! Keeper of Lost Children a more recent read, but oh so good. Both set in the WWII period. These two books represent what I have come to find eminently enjoyable in historical fiction; they inform, educate, and you close the cover knowing more than when it was opened. And . . . all wrapped up in a compelling, exciting tale.
Comments
Post a Comment