Dee Reads Explores Writing "Outside the Lines"

Have you ever wondered where bloggers get their ideas? Some weeks I ask myself the same question. 🤣  Am I sitting on my couch when a comic book bubble suddenly appears over my head and there's a fantastic original theme?  I wish it were that easy, but I am fortunate to have a great sounding board who never fails to shoot off his own unique thoughts.  My brother, my reading cohort, friend, and whom I have mentioned throughout the blog is responsible for the seed that grew into this week's drop.  Here's Jay's inspiration - "It would be interesting to share some authors who have successfully written outside what is thought of as their genre."

Jay mentioned one of his special favorites, Robert Dugoni.  Robert, author of the Tracy Crosswhite Series, also favored us with three books, that define the word special and are outside the mystery/thriller genre, The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell, The World Played Chess, and Hold Strong. 

Dugoni has proven himself, to me and to my brother, to be an author with broad talent, scope, and appeal.  All three of these books depart from what I typically think of Dugoni's road.  They made me laugh, cry, growl, and most all, feel from start to finish.  All superstar pieces of work!  All five-star reads for me, and you all know I'm pretty stingy with those stars!





More recently, I discovered an affinity for historical fiction and in turn the author, Tosca Lee.  Tosca is a wide ranging talented author, but I would say she's best known for biblical fiction and  thrillers.  In October of 2023 Tosca, along with Marcus Brotherton, published a historical fiction novel entitled, The Long March Home.  And what a sterling gem it is! 

Although, perhaps outside Tosca's primary genre, it cannot be disputed this is a book of great consequence and impact. Written with a skillful hand, it tells the story of the Bataan Death March, but from an oh so human place! The extensive and necessary research was there, supporting a plot so readable and accessible it easily surpassed the nearly 100 books I read in 2024.




Finally, the King of Horror, Stephen King. I don't enjoy the horror genre at all.  In fact, you could say I avert me eyes and move along when I see it online or in a bookstore.    Consequently, I haven't read much of King's work, but when he stepped outside the lines and wrote 11/22/63 he had me.  

11/22/63 is a horse of a different color, with just a shade of hopeful believability that kept me flipping page after 850 pages!  The "if onlys" populate this book and simply fascinate me.  If only we could time travel.  If only we could change events and possibly the future.  If only we could slip in and out of timelines without revealing ourselves.  These questions  allow readers to use their imaginations to formulate unique answers.  Pretty special!    

I didn't write a formal review of this book, but I do give it the highest form of flattery, a referral.  In fact, all of these great books get referred to possible readers.  In my book club, one-on-one to other readers, or anyone who will listen to me go on for a few minutes.  If you see me coming and don't want to hear about one of the five, you might want to steer clear.  😉 Hopefully, you'll stop for a few minutes and share some of your "Outside the Lines" favorites.  


 

Carl Sagan: "To read is to voyage through time. One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years." 

Comments

  1. All the books you mentioned clearly demonstrate what a great authors are capable of.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dee Reviews The Faculty Lounge by Jennifer Mathieu

BOOK ADJACENT

Series Reading - The Couple's Secret by Lisa Regan