Summer Reading and Reviews

Hello Dear Readers!  

We are in the dog days of summer and with that long days, more daylight saving time, and the opportunity to read even more books. I've been trying to stay cool during these approaching 100 degree days by holing up inside, enjoying the delicious air conditioning, and reading for two, count them two, Summer Reading Challenges.  One for my local public library, which I've successfully completed and will end this coming weekend.  The other, an on-line venture, that asks the participants to read three books a month.  Easy right?  That's what I thought also, but the more pressing challenge, for me anyway, is to decide which from my towering stack of books to read. 

In order to share a bit with you all from my summer reading and brag on a few of my favorites, I've compiled a list of three of my favorites.  Not to be all sunshine and roses, next week I will mention one or two for which I didn't feel the same fondness.  One, you could say, I downright disliked.  I'll also give you a few short points highlighting why or why not I give them my endorsement. 

Let's kick things off with a gem, a true sparkling gem of a book, Word of Honor, by the late Nelson DeMille.  I’ve had this book on my list for a very long time, even before the author died!  I hate my tardiness, but I must say it has held up to time and mores’.

The plot centers on Ben Tyson’s actions as a young infantry officer in Vietnam of 1968, where the platoon he is commanding participates in a hospital massacre.  His soldiers carry out the killing of men, women, children, and pregnant mothers.  Think the My Lai Massacre.  In 1988 this incident comes to light with the publication of a book on the subject.  Tyson is then recalled to duty to stand court martial for murder due to his apparent failure to carry out his duty and stop the killing of innocents and report the event. 

A long time ago?  Yes, but still as apt today as it was all those years ago. The court martial scenes were as live to me as if I’d sat in the chapel at Ft. Hamilton during the court martial. I guess because the military, steeped in tradition and set in its way, doesn’t change much. Great book by a prolific author. I’m glad to see his son is carrying the work forward.


Another jewel you might want to add to your TBR crown is The Final Target by Nora Roberts, released on May 26, 2026.  So, while DeMille's work is quite a bit older, Roberts' was just released.  I’ve read a few of Nora Roberts books previously, and with a plethora of them to choose from, there’s something for every reader.  Up front, I’m not a fan of her, I guess you’d label them fantasy, but I am fond of books like The Final Target, which I would call police intrigue with a dash of romance.  As I recall, my mom had several of them on her shelves too.  If there’s a better recommendation than her lifelong love of books and reading, I don’t know what it would be.  

This book seems to be the perfect recipe of a twisted, obsessed stalker type (Dustin) and a young first-time novelist (Arden).  When they meet at her debut book-signing it seems innocent enough, but Dustin soon escalates to a cruel, mentally ill stalker who attacks Arden in her own home.  The story unfolds from there into a ride that takes Arden from Ohio to Oregon, where she seems to find peace, a place to write, and maybe someone to let into her life and heart.  Is everything hunky dory?  You really need to read The Final Target to find out.

I did stop and restart this book twice, but not because it lacked readability or enjoyment, more because it freaked me out a bit while I was spending a few days alone with my granddaughter.  Once I came home, it was full speed ahead.  


The third in our line of valuables is Michael Connelly's newest, #8,  in the Lincoln Lawyer Series, The Proving Ground.  The only thing I like better than a good series is one written by Michael Connelly!  This supports my contention that Bosch, Haller, and Ballard continue to grow as characters individually and together when they happen to cross over into each other's books and streaming series.  

In The Proving Ground Mickey Haller, The Lincoln Lawyer, leaves criminal court behind for his first civil lawsuit. But to him, this is still a murder trial.  An AI company's chatbot encouraged a sixteen-year-old boy to kill his ex-girlfriend. Can Haller prove the company knew the dangers of its own creation? He turns to Jack McEvoy, you might remember from previous Connelly work, who knows how powerful the coming AI ability will be and together they soon uncover a whistleblower in hiding.  

Will Mickey stay in the civil arena after this case or make a U-turn back to the criminal side?  Who knows.  Wherever we find him next, in the hands of Connelly, I have no doubt we will enjoy every moment together.  


So, Dear Readers, until next week when we will get down in the mud, the guts, and the beer (if you're so inclined) to take a deeper look into some of my least favorite of the summer reading season.  Brace yourself things are going to get messy! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dee Reviews The Faculty Lounge by Jennifer Mathieu

Series Reading - The Couple's Secret by Lisa Regan

BOOK ADJACENT